It’s finally here! The long awaited debut album of Magic Potion! Now, I really liked their singles for this album. They were just great. The “Melt EP” was also incredible and has one of the songs of the year, “Deep Web” (In my opinion, of course). Instead of talking too much, I will just dig right into it!
Let’s do it!
- Milk 9/10 As expected from Magic Potion, we have a really comfy opener. The guitar riff from the intro reminds me a lot of the third song, “Deep Web”. They’re pretty alike. The percussion is great too, it’s perfect. Now, I wish they could have put some lyrics on their bandcamp page, because I don’t understand a thing they’re saying (Who knows, maybe that’s for the best?) Anyways, I would like to add that this has one of the comfiest guitar solos I’ve ever heard, and I have heard a lot of solos. So yeah, great opener!
- Cola Boyys 9/10 If I remember right, I think this was one of the singles for the album (wasn’t the first song too?) It’s got nice melodies, and god I’m going to try to not to overuse this word (or phrase, actually), that phrase would be “This is comfy”. But I just can’t stop saying that it’s comfy, because it’s exactly what describes their sound. I lost my headphones, so I’m listening to this from my laptop’s speakers. Thanks to that, I think I’m missing great basslines. I just really like the sound they’re going for, it’s like Mac DeMarco but more energetic.
- Deep Web 10/10 And speaking of Mac DeMarco, this song sounds a lot like something he would make (Especially the guitar riff) This was the first song of theirs that I listened to, it was on a Record Store Day compilation CD. I was shocked by how good this song was. The vocals remind me a lot of the ending song from Adventure Time, maybe because they’re incredible. This song has survived the test of time.
- Yummi 1 8/10 Oh, this is new! This is really comfy! (I said it, comfy count is on four) I think I can hear the bass, and it sounds great. I really like the drums, they’re energetic yet minimalistic. I also like the jangly guitar. As always, nice vocals. Just a great song, nothing special with it.
- Golden Power 9/10 THIS IS GREAT. This has to be one of the best songs in the album so far, along with “Deep Web”, of course. I actually wrote that this was one of the slower songs, but I was just at the intro when I wrote that down. The song gets a lot more energetic, especially the drums (This song has the best percussion so far). I think the samples at the outro are a little unnecessary, and cheesy too. This makes me rate it a little lower than it should be.
- Gemz 9/10 SO COMFY (ah fuck), HOW DO THEY MANAGE TO DO SUCH NICE MUSIC? This song is a lot comfier than last song, but not better. Oh well, the chorus isn’t bad. At all. I really like the guitar riff, it’s surf-ish. This really IS one of the best Swedish bands at the moment, maybe THE best after Kent plays their final show. Now, I’m talking about the best “alternative”, because everyone should know that Opeth, Silencer and Lifelover are the best Swedish bands.
- Jelly 10/10 And another of the singles for the album! I think this was my favourite of the three singles and I can really see why. The drum machine (or is it just robotic drumming??) really gives it it’s charm. I like the part around 02:00 where the drums go full “Just Like Honey”, it really is one of the best moments of the album, as the song starts getting this underwater feeling. Definitely one of the best songs in here.
- Cheddar Lane 8/10 Yes. Give me that comfiness (damn). Give me those surf-ish/ jangle guitars. Give me the perfect drumming that we get in every song, and PLEASE give me those vocals. Oh, the part where the song just changes tempo is just incredible, I really like the guitar in that part. Maybe I can figure out how to play it? The song felt too short though.
- Booored 8/10 The last single begins with the exact same guitar riff from the first song I created. Oh god the chorus is so delicious, I want to eat it. I have said pretty much everything by now, just read the other songs to figure out what I’m going to say about this. That’s something that I don’t like that much with this album, the songs sound too much alike. But hey, this isn’t a bad song at all.
- Peace Pipe 8.5/10 Last but not least, we have “Peace Pipe”, which is the perfect closer. This reminds me a lot of the closer of Arctic Monkeys debut album, begins slow and builds up to an energetic ending. Apart that this one has no energetic part, it’s actually just a slow song, I said that for fun. But yeah, this is just an incredible closer for an incredible album
This album was so good! I really liked it for it’s comfy vocals and nice guitar riffs. I just wish I could have paid more attention to the bass, but I’m pretty sure that one is also pretty good. The best thing with this album has to be the drums, god they were so good. Basically, Magic Potion has a lot of energy and talent, and I am expecting them to make more good albums.
Also, you can actually buy it on cassette, and it looks incredible. I want to scratch that cassette with my teeth, because that green is delicious. It reminds me of Wes Anderson. IT ALSO HAS GUM WITH IT, HOW COOL IS THAT?! Buy it if you want, I’m not going to point a gun to your head and scream at the top of my lungs how you should buy it. Just get it if you liked it.
This album has to be an 8.8/10, an incredible album worth remembering.