This was originally posted on my emo themed blog, which is now dead
Midwest emo in Japanese? Now this is something i’ve always wanted to hear, hell yeah this is gonna kick ass!! Anyways, this album was released in October 30, 2013 and it’s their debut album (and only album so far) (EDIT WHILE I LISTEN TO THE FIRST SONG AND SEARCHING INFO ON THEM: FUCK, THEY DISBANDED LAST YEAR) I am expecting it to sound like Tricot, but more emo oriented.
- Pyramid 10/10 Words cannot express how much I am diging this (actually, yeah i think words can describe it, but i am a lazy piece of trash) I like the vocals, not common in the genre. She sings pretty damn good. The drums are nice too. YES, PINCH HARMONICS! MY MUSICAL FETISH!! AAAAAAAAH. Good guitar at 02:40, sounds hard to play-
- 8films 9/10 holy shit those guitars, now that’s what i call MATH rock (vol.7)
- Tobira 9/10 I like how the songs smoothly changed, I almost didn’t notice this was another song. I dig the bass, it’s the classic midwest emo bassline, I like that. I’ve said it once and I will say it again, her voice is breathtaking. I like the delay on the guitar in the last minute of the song, sounds really comfy.
- Compass 10/10 I know I say this a lot but, damn good intro. A good intro gives the listener the will to, well, keep listening. Cool bass in this song, it’s smooth as hell, pretty damn cool. Once again, well sung and also once again, nice guitar. This song sounds a lot like Tricot, it’s got pretty much the same sound. I think this is one of my favourite songs so far.
- Strings 9/10 The guitar in the intro reminds me of “Never Meant” by American Football, that’s of course a good thing. I just can’t stop writing about how good her voice sounds, but damn, it really is uncommon in midwest emo to… Well… Sing good. The drums are SO good in this song, they even made me air drum at some points.
- 裁判にかけられた男 10/10 THE GUITAR AT THE INTRO, DAMN. THEY ARE EVEN BETTER THAN “THIS TOWN NEEDS GUNS” GUITAR WANKERY (and trust me, they are really good at it) This song was sadly too short.
- 体温 9/10 This is just how a closer song should sound. Like it’s saying goodbye and thanks you for your time. It wasn’t exactly the best song in the album but it works extremely well as a closer.
Man, the fact that they broke up breaks my heart, they were really talented, from the singer’s incredible voice to the bassist’s lines that will probably be stuck in my head for a couple hours. The guitarrist (whoever it is) is extremely good, perfect for math core. Don’t let me get started with how much i liked the drums in this album, they were simply put: perfect.
I hate always giving everything such good reviews but I (obviously) really love midwest emo, it’s perfect in every way (if made correctly, of course) This is now in my top 3 Japanese math rock albums, that’s how much I liked it.
9.4/10 is what it is! Well done, Uchu Conbini!
RIP UCHU CONBINI