This was originally posted on my emo themed blog, I am reposting all of my posts from that blog since I realised that I didn’t use it anymore
dude, you can listen to it here
This is a mixtape by someone called Marcello (EDIT: when writing this, i didn’t know that Marcellos wasn’t a person, but the label’s name. I think that gives it some kind of comedic vibe i guess, so I am not going to edit what it said), it features his favourite tunes. It was relased in 2013 and it’s avaiable to purchase on cassette (I can’t buy it because i’m broke and I don’t have a cassette player) It comes in a nice package, just look at it! It’s so cool!
Anyways, I hope the music is as nice as the package
- Liqour Quickly by Olde Pine 9.5/10 HEY, THIS IS PRETTY GOOD. THIS IS SOME QUALITY DRUMMING. No, seriously, I really dig this song, I might check the band out. Nice mix so far, Marcello. Good taste by the way (if you’re reading this for some reason) THE LAST MINUTE IS GREAT, the synths remind me of The Anniversary.
- Hayam Wuruk by Chuck Bass 8/10 oh shit it’s screamo. It’s still nice got some nice instrumentation. Makes me wanna pick up a skateboard and skate away, apart that I can’t skate hahaha.
- Innsmouth by Always Wanted War 9/10 IT’S MORE SCREAMO, NICE! I DIG THE SINGER’S VOICE (scream voice, that is) Sounds really nice at 01:35, I like it. Reminds me of Silencer at 02:40 (that’s a good thing) (EDIT: AAAAAAAH THEY NOTICED ME WHAT’S GOING ON????? THANK YOU!!!)
- Anything Is Popsicle by Ghost Cat (nice band name) 9/10 THIS IS SO GOOD, IT HAS SOME REALLY NICE VIBES GOING
- Setbacks by Bicycles 10/10 This really sounds like something me and my brother would create. Everything with this song is great, from the energetic drums to the basslines to the crunchy guitar sound of theirs. Nice vocals too, I might check them out. THANKS MARCELLO FOR THIS MIXTAPE, I’M DISCOVERING SOME GOOD SHIT THANKS TO YOU.
- Call The Guiness Book by Finish This Together 6/10 Cool drums. I find the vocals a little annoying but that’s ok since it’s midwest emo. No, actually, this is more pop punk than anything i’ve heard. Does the vocals have autotune? Is it part of their aestethic? I don’t dig this so much.
- Stray by Gouge Away 10/10 Yo, this is cool as hell. I like the guitar and the vocals, they remind me of Crystal Castles (probably because she is screaming?????)
- Mosaic by I Found Myself In Austin, Texas 9/10 THIS IS GOOD, THE VOCALS MAY SOUND A LITTLE BAD BUT IT GIVES IT AN UNIQUE STYLE, I might check them out! Nice drums too.
- Back Again by Tiger Magic 10/10 NICE, it really reminds me of Lee Ranaldo’s voice, like in Skip Tracer by Sonic Youth. No seriously, this fucking rocks.
- Parody by Henri Parker & The Lowered Lids 9/10 DIG THE SYNTHS/ORGANS, it has folk punk vibes, that’s pretty nice
- Ride Bikes (I like that name) by Ashtray Monument 8/10 Not that bad, but not the best in the mixtape. Sounds like something my uncle would listen to (he is into punk and such) I would go to a concert of theirs tho, if they are nearby.
- Benno by Lost Girls 9/10 this is GREAT, really like it! There isn’t much to say about it, since it sounds like most of the songs on this mixtape.
- Cellotape by Black Books 7/10 Nice vocals, sadly this mixtape is getting a little repetitive, so it sinks the rating a little. 02:15 to 02:30 was definitely the best moment.
- Eisenbahn (Marcello edit) by Lafftrak 9/10 Cool synths, nice everything.
- Divide These Days by Warehouse 8/10 I like the guitar. Pretty enjoyable
- Upon The Ruins by Sodium 7/10 Not my style, but the drums are good.
- Meine Blume by rha. 9/10 THIS IS GOOD(!!!) I LIKE THE TWINKY GUITARS
- Teenage Rampage by Phlegmatix 8/10 Good bass, I like the vocals, they remind me of a band that I can’t remember the name of, but they sounded a lot like this.
- Und Niemals Tourmalet by Torpedo Holiday 8/10 Good intro, this is the kind of song you want to play LOUD. Really dig this.
- Frayed by Cavalcades 9/10 Oooh, I like the sound of the guitar. Smooth bassline too. This song is pretty good. FINALLY A “MIDWEST EMO” SONG (it almost isn’t midwest)
- Lines In A Story by Starry 10/10 Dude, this is THE sound. Probably the best song in this mixtape so far. I don’t think it will get better than this.
- Under A Nail by Old Friends 10/10 Super sounding guitar riff at intro, really pleasant to listen to. This isn’t THAT bad. No, actually, this is really good! I like it!
- Acapulco Rain by Pilots. 10/10 WOW, WHAT’S THIS SONG? IT DOESN’T SOUND LIKE ANYTHING IN THE MIXTAPE. It reminds me of Arcade Fire, but a little better. This is the perfect song for a closer, a song that makes you dance and happy. This is definitely one of the best songs i’ve hear this year. Well done.
The mixtape had some really good songs by bands worth checking out, but it was a little too long for me to remember it all. At some point the songs started all sound the same, but the last 3 songs made me leave with a stupid grin stuck in my face. Specially the last song, that was awesome.
I just realised Marcellos isn’t a person, but the name of the label. Oh well…
This album is a 8.7/10, I might check out some bands from this mixtape.